Our new website is here! We are still adding information; please check back often.

Tax Assistance

Home » Tax Assistance

Free Tax Preparation

AARP Foundation Tax-Aide, in cooperation with the I.R.S., N.C. Dept. of Revenue, Buncombe County Library System and Council on Aging, Inc. will again offer free tax preparations for taxpayers with low- and moderate-income with special attention to those age 60 and older. This service will be available from February 1 through April 15, at sites listed below. Both Federal and N.C. State tax returns will be electronically filed for safe and accurate preparation and faster refunds. 

Tax-Aide Sites

Pack Library
(Downtown Asheville, next to U.S. Cellular Center)   
Asheville, NC 28801 (Tel: 828-250-4700)
** Free Parking for the first hour at the Civic Center Garage
10:00 am – 4:00 pm
10:00 am – 4:00 pm
West Asheville Presbyterian Church
690 Haywood Road
Asheville, NC 28806 (Tel: 828-280-3700)
9:30 am – 4:00 pm
Weaverville: Brookstone Church
90 Griffee Road
Weaverville, NC 28787 (Tel: 828-658-9443)
9:30 am – 3:00 pm
Black Mountain Library **
105 N Dougherty Street                                                                           
Black Mountain, NC 28711 (Tel: 828-250-4756)
**Due to early voting, this site will be closed in early February. Call library for alternative site information.
9 am – 3:00 pm

Taxpayers should bring the following documents:

  • Photo I.D. for taxpayer and spouse
  • Social Security cards or equivalent for all taxpayers and dependents
  • Copy of last year’s tax return
  • Proof of health insurance coverage: Forms 1095 A, B, or C; Market Place exemption letter
  • Income documents – Forms W-2, SSA-1099, 1099-R, 1099-G, 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, W-2G, other 1099 forms, Self-employment income – 1099-MISC, and any other income
  • Brokerage statements (Form 1099-B), sale of stocks and bonds
  • Detailed list and recipients for Medical Expenses, Charitable Contributions, Real Estate Taxes, and Mortgage Interest (Form 1098), if you are claiming itemized expenses
  • Educational expenses (Form 1098-T) and student account statement from College or University
  • Bank check for direct deposit of any refund to your checking or savings account
Scroll to Top