Council on Aging of Buncombe County is a designated Navigator agency regarding the Marketplace options for health insurance coverage. Staff and volunteers assist community members with education and purchasing health insurance through the Affordable Care Act.
Read and listen to the Health Care Minutes here.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Marketplace plans include coverage for diagnosis and treatment of COVID-19 (Coronavirus).
- All of our services are free. Certified Navigators can answer your questions and walk you through your health coverage options.
- Financial help is available. 9 in 10 North Carolinians who signed up for Marketplace coverage received financial help paying their premiums.
- You may be eligible to sign up for coverage outside of the Open Enrollment Period if you’ve experienced a qualifying life event, such as losing your job, having a child, moving, getting married, and more.
- The annual Open Enrollment Period starts on November 1st and ends on December 15th.
McDowell Access to Care and Health (MATCH) and Toe River Project Access (TRPA) in Avery, Yancey, and Mitchell counties are both CareReach programs. CareReach is a partner and subgrantee of ours that we have worked closely with for years.
In addition to ACA navigation, we assist consumers to enroll in primary care, specialty care and – when necessary – financial assistance. Our Navigators worked with the Premium and Copayment Assistance Program (PCAP), a part of the North Carolina HIV Medication Assistance Program (HMAP) to help enrollees across the State find the right ACA insurance plan.
If you have questions about ACA, please call (828) 277-8288 or email info[at]coabc.org.