The Council on Aging of Buncombe County is an independent 501(c)(3) organization. COAbc is not a government agency or a subsidiary of any larger organization.
Established in 1964, COAbc strives to provide personal and caring support as we age together. Whether you are learning the Medicare system, looking for services to help you stay healthy and independent at home, or need caregiver support, COAbc can help you make the right connections.
COAbc receives funding from local, state, and federal grants as well as contracts with other organizations, private foundations, sponsors, individual donors, and corporate sponsors.
Our Vision: A community where everyone has the opportunity to age successfully.
Our Mission: Promote the independence, dignity, and well-being of adults through service, education, and advocacy
- Established in 1964 as Buncombe County Committee on Aging, Inc.
- Renamed in 1973 as Buncombe County Council on Aging, Inc.
- Renamed in 2003 as Council on Aging of Buncombe County, Inc.
- In 2014, the Council On Aging of Buncombe County celebrated its 50th anniversary!
- Secured more than $2 million dollars in benefits for clients in 2017.
- We provide more than 10,000 services a year to individuals.
Strategic Objective Framework
Service: To build, sustain, and thrive as a mission-driven organization that provides and influences robust, equitable, accessible, and appropriate community-based programs and services for aging adults and their families across the continuum of care.
Education: To increase awareness and provide aging-in-place resources that address social determinants of health through community programming and collaborations with clients, partners, funders, staff, and volunteers.
Advocacy: To promote dynamic solutions for and raise awareness about the rapid population growth among older adults, and to serve as a resource to community stakeholders and policymakers for key aging issues.